Dreaming of building your new home?
Building a house to your liking, being sure of its quality and wanting to save on costs are different reasons why new home buyers choose self-building. However, having a project approved for financing can be complex and difficult and can discourage more than one person. With Laurentian Bank, you could benefit from mortgage financing adapted to your reality.
TO START BUILDING YOUR HOME
You want to build your principal residence on land you own. You have the knowledge, the experience and the time necessary to devote yourself to a major project which demands detailed planning. Before the work starts, here are some actions you must plan for:
- Identify your needs according to your financial capacity and life style (number of rooms, decor, etc.);
- Get plans and specifications from specialists consistent with construction standards. You can verify these standards on the Régie du bâtiment du Québec website (http://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en/home.html) ;
- Get a construction permit from the city;
- Take out insurance policies covering accidents;
- Estimate and detail all the direct and indirect costs. This will prevent any unwanted surprises;
- Get funding to start building ;
- Prepare a detailed calendar to ensure a good work flow;
- Plan the main stages of inspection steps to ensure the house’s quality and security. Details available the Régie du bâtiment website http://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en/home.html ;
- Get written contracts with dates of completion from suppliers and subcontractors.